Ouya International Education

If you are applying to a Canadian undergraduate program, these are the types of applications you must know about!

How is the preparation for your Fall Term 2024 application going? Although you still
have plenty of time to think about what you will take and which degree program to choose, today
we’ll introduce you to a few ways to go to Canada for your undergraduate degree. Remember
that Canada has ninety-six public universities coast to coast, and that no two universities have
precisely the same admission protocols and standards.

Direct Undergraduate Admission

Applying for direct undergraduate admission to a Canadian university is more demanding
for international students, especially for a student whose education from Grades 9 through 12 has
not been entirely in English. First, students are required to have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above
in all panels, to have graduates from secondary school, and generally to have an average score of
at least 85% across the last two years of secondary school. Those who meet these requirements
will generally be allowed to apply for any undergraduate degree program in any of Canada’s
ninety-six public universities.

And Canada’s top post-secondary institutions generally require applicants to provide
them with official documentation of final marks for secondary school courses. In jurisdictions
which hold college entrance examinations, the university will expect to see the official results.
Those that require such examination results are University of Toronto, the University of B. C.
(both Point Grey and Okanagan campuses), McMaster University, McGill University, the
University of Waterloo, Queen’s University, and the University of Western Ontario. Consult the
university’s website.

In general, the top ten public universities in Canada in the comprehensive, so that they
offer not only basic undergraduate degrees, but also medical and medical sciences degrees—and
these comprehensive universities have excellent academic. Therefore, direct enrollment is still a
requirement for students seeking a high quality post-secondary education.

Undergraduate Dual Enrollment

Recently, more and more international students are choosing to study in Canada
undergraduate dual enrollment, so what is “undergraduate dual enrollment”? Dual enrollment in
Canada means that the university gives students two letters of acceptance: one for the
undergraduate major, and one stipulating language acceptance.

After a Canadian university recognizes the student’s academic ability, it may require the
student to take a language course in the university’s language orientation program for a certain
period. The length of the program depends on the student’s English level. Placement will be
based on language test scores or the school’s internal language test, and students will be able to
enroll in undergraduate courses once they have met the criteria for passing the language

After about one month of study, students can achieve an IELTS score of 5 to 5.5, but that
is insufficient for admission to any Canadian university’s regular degree programs. If the student
still do not meet the requirements for direct entry, he or she can complete the preliminary
language study between January and September, and then start formal undergraduate study from
the beginning of the following September onwards.

There are a few public colleges near prestigious universities in Canada that can accept
these students. Often these colleges have transfer credit agreements with one or even several
universities in their area to ensure that students can transfer their first-year credits to these
universities after they have achieved a certain number of credits and a minimum Cumulative
Percentage Average (CPA) at the public college.

Usually, these colleges require an IELTS score of 6 to 6.5 for direct entry, but, if a
student’s English IELTS score is below this standard, the college will arrange an English
program for the student, depending on the student’s IELTS score. This approach is more suitable
for students with average secondary school marks for Grades Eleven and Twelve, including
junior colleges and vocational high schools, or students whose families are sensitive to the cost
of studying abroad.

Pre-admission Programs at Canadian Universities

Some Canadian universities have pre-admission programs with lower requirements than
direct entry. Both academic grades and English grades are lower than those required for direct

In this way, students can continue to study academic English courses in the pre-admission
program, as well as some of the first-year academic courses, usually for one to two years,
depending on the student’s foundation. After successfully completing the pre-admission program
and meeting the admission standards, students can enter the university undergraduate program
and start their first or second year of study.

However, this pre-admission program is not offered by all universities in Canada.
Currently, some of the universities that offer this type of pre-admission program are Simon
Fraser University, University of Manitoba, University of Toronto, and York University.

Matriculation is also one of the most common ways to apply. Here, the student must
provide more than two years of domestic transcripts and proof of enrollment in a Canadian
secondary school (showing that he or she has studied high school courses, ESL, and university
preparation [UP] courses, before he or she may apply to a Canadian university. However, if you
apply for the preparatory (UP) program, you must start preparing about a year in advance.

Most of the students who apply for matriculation go through the dual enrollment of
matriculation plus undergraduate, which means that they must go through the University
Foundation Year or Bridging course first. This is the most common way for international
students to apply for undergraduate programs in Canada.

International Colleges

International colleges in Canada offer small class sizes for international students, so that
students will be better prepared for foreign teaching styles through intensive language courses
and freshman programs. At the end of the preparation program, students take an exam and pass
the exam to continue their studies in their sophomore or second year. Most Canadian universities
do not designate their years in the same way as American post-secondaries.

IELTS and TOEFL Exemption

Nowadays, some institutions have opened the through training for direct entry, that is,
through the English proficiency test of the international education cooperation program offered
by some excellent universities in China. After passing the test, the student will be exempted from
IELTS and TOEFL scores when applying for direct entry.

Please share this article if you think it could be useful to someone else. Thank you.


Ready to Start Your Adventure with Ouya?