Ouya International Education

Studying Abroad In Canada

As an industrial-technological powerhouse, Canada is one of the world’s leading countries in terms of science and education, and has the highest percentage of investment in education of any of the seven major industrial countries. With only 95 public universities and a concentration of educational resources, Canada’s standard of higher education is extremely high, and the quality of qualifications its institutions offer is among the highest in the world. The security around the country’s university campuses is generally very good for international students, who may live and concentrate on their studies without fear of crime.

Five Canadian universities were ranked in Time Magazine’s top one hundred global university employment rankings. The study, which interviewed 6,000 leading companies around the world, focused on which universities’ graduates have higher employment performance and capabilities. The five Canadian universities on the list are these: University of Toronto (13th), McGill University (18th), University of Montreal (44th), University of British Columbia (45th), and McMaster University (74th).

Read on to learn more about studying abroad in Canada.

Requirements for undergraduate study in Canada

Requirements for direct application to study in Canada

A high school entrance examination score above the first grade, IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 95 or above, extracurricular competition awards, letters of recommendation, and social practice experience. Therefore, direct application is more suitable for students who have plans to study abroad and have excellent grades. Canadian universities place far more emphasis on grades and far less on extracurricular participation.

Application requirements for preparing to study abroad

Study abroad matriculation is divided into domestic matriculation and foreign private matriculation for colleges and universities, which are the two processing methods used by Canadian universities for students whose IELTS or TOEFL scores do not meet the minimum standards. Application requirements include high school graduation or equivalent, and good English scores.

Is it better to go to a matriculation program at home or study abroad?

Depending on the situation, students whose English listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills have reached or exceeded IELTS 5.5, or TOEFL 80 and above, students can study both domestically and abroad. However, if the student’s English listening and speaking abilities are poor, OUYA recommends that the student choose the domestic study abroad preparatory program, because the domestic English teaching mode is more suitable for students with poor English comprehension abilities, never go to foreign private preparatory colleges and universities, because it is difficult to adapt to full English teaching, which involves both lectures and extensive reading assignments in English.

Conditions for transferring credits to study abroad through Sino-foreign cooperation

The common programs for transferring credits between China and many foreign countries are 2+2 and 3+2. Because the application requirements are relatively low, students can apply as long as they have recent or previous high school or equivalent education, and they can pass the entrance examination after successful application and have the chance to enter. After admission, students can study English courses and professional courses for two to three years in the enrolling institutions (domestic universities), and then apply to the Canadian universities docked with the program according to their IELTS or TOEFL scores, and transfer the credits to Canadian universities directly after being accepted, so that students only need to finish the remaining professional courses.

Application time for studying in Canada

Your application for studying in Canada should be made six to eight months before the start of the school year; consequently, you should prepare your application more than half-a-year in advance. Therefore, the first semester of your Grade 12 year is the time to apply for post-secondary studies in Canada. If you apply in the first semester of your final year of secondary school, you will be able to catch the opening season of Canadian universities, who typically accept applications in January or February for the following September. However, if you apply after your graduation year, you will probably miss the opening of classes in the September of that year.

Application timeline for studying in Canada (for example, high school graduation in September)

From the end of Grade 11 year to the end of the first semester of senior high school, prepare for the language test and get the best score possible.

Before the start of senior high school (before September), determine the colleges, universities, and majors for which you intend to apply. If you don’t know which university to apply for, you can consult a study abroad agent in advance.

July-November: Prepare application materials, including high school transcripts in English and Chinese, proof of high school enrollment, proof of high school entrance exams, letters of recommendation, and documentation of IELTS or TOEFL scores. Submit your application package to your chosen post-secondary institution..

After January of the following year: For those who have submitted their study abroad applications, wait patiently for acceptance to the school. For those who have not submitted their applications, please make sure to submit them before the deadline.

After March: Some universities will close their applications in May, so if you have not submitted your application by the end of April, you may still b able to submit your application.

After April: Get an official acceptance letter from the university and prepare visa documents.

The following June: Arrange for your medical examination and submit your visa application.

August of the following year: Get your visa and prepare for all aspects of your study abroad, including travel bookings, luggage, accommodation, pick-up, etc.

End of August: Travel to Study in Canada.

What documents are required for undergraduate applications to study in Canada?

  1. Transcripts of the first five semesters of high school and proof of high school enrollment. The transcripts and proof of enrollment should be in English , and should be printed on school letterhead and stamped by the school’s Registrar.
  2. Transcript of high schools in China. This document needs to be issued by the Examination and Education Institute (or in some places, the Education Bureau/Department of Education); usually only one copy is given, so you need to make a copy of the original (the original you should retain for your records), and it needs to be accompanied by a cross-reference to the English document, and the Chinese and English copies should be brought together to the school’s Registrar’s Office for stamping.
  3. Certificate of participation in the college entrance examination or a Certificate of non-participation in the college entrance examination. Students who are taking the college entrance exam should provide a registration form (or proof of taking the college entrance exam), and students who are not going to take the college entrance exam should provide proof of not taking the college entrance exam and state the reason in the proof (such as taking the SAT or ACT, neither of which are widely recognized in Canada, but which are useful for applications to American post-secondaries). In either case, we recommend that the documents be in English, printed on school letterhead, and stamped by the school’s Registrar’s Office.
  4. Stamped school envelope. This envelope must be stamped (seam seal) and used to contain all the above documents in English or with the English translation.
  5. IELTS/TOEFL transcripts. Language scores must be sent to the Canadian institution you are applying to through the test center requesting the scores.

Students in their final year of high school should apply to Canadian undergraduate institutions generally in the second semester of their senior year of high school. Thus, senior students who intend to study at a post-secondary institution in Canada have a few months to prepare.

For more information, contact one of our study abroad agents.

Please share this article if you think it could be useful to someone else. Thank you.


Ready to Start Your Adventure with Ouya?